Thursday, March 15, 2018

Two songs about Pompeii and a volcano drink for the Ides of March


"Beware The Ides of March!"  That's how I concluded Three pie songs and a pie drink for Pi Day 2018.  Over at Booman Tribune, I told my readers there what form today's doom would take, writing "I'll return tomorrow with songs and drinks inspired by the destruction of Pompeii" in the comments there.  More death and destruction in the Roman World for the Ides of March!

I begin the festivities with Siouxsie & The Banshees - Cities In Dust [Music Video].


That's a 20th Century song inspired by the disaster.  For a 21st Century take, here's Bastille - Pompeii.



Music video by Bastille performing Pompeii.

Those are the songs for today.  Now for the drink, the Lava Flow from Tipsy Bartender.

The most awesome blended drink ever...THE LAVA FLOW! Cocktails are mighty personal things, and people can have vastly different preferences for what kind they like. But we're going to go out on a limb here and say that EVERYONE will love this drink! Fruit and rum is already a badass combination, and with the extra sweetness of cream of coconut, this drink is unbeatable. Close your eyes as you take a sip and it's easy to imagine that you're laying on a tropical white sand beach. Mmm!
...
LAVA FLOW
1oz Light Rum
1oz Coconut Rum
2oz Strawberries
1 Banana
2oz Pineapple Juice
2oz Cream of Coconut
I'm an environmentalist and I recycle, which is why I beg my readers' forgiveness by not reusing the recipes in Drink a Flaming Volcano for Jindal.  I decided to do something new today, even if the readers of Booman Tribune haven't seen my old material before.  Surprise!

6 comments:

  1. The Siouxsie song brings back memories! Strangely enough, I'd never seen the video before.

    I'm sure it never occurred to any of the inhabitants of Pompeii that the destruction of their city would be recognized almost 2,000 in the future for all the insights its preserved remains gave us into the details of Roman civilization, making their city a household name (it wasn't particularly big or important by the Roman standards of the time). No doubt they would have considered it a bizarre thought.

    At least for me, by the way, your posts at Booman Tribune don't show up on the home page. I followed your link in this post to "Midweek Cafe and Lounge, Vol. 56" over there, and I see it's dated yesterday, but when I go to the home page, it doesn't appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have found it for you!

      The irony of Pompeii is that for it become immortal, it had to die first.

      I can see my post on the front page. It's all the way on the right edge under "Recent Diaries." It's also currently the bottom link under "Recommended Diaries."

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. learning songs ON MY WAY - Alan Walker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since there are two music videos in this entry, your spam is on topic, so it stays. Lucky you.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flattery will get you nowhere, spammer. Deleted.

      Delete