Monday, December 25, 2017

Merry Christmas 2017 from Broken Peach and Crazy Eddie's Motie News


Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings from Crazy Eddie's Motie News!  I'm taking a break from passing along NASA's greetings to us Earthlings (maybe next year -- until then Vox explains NASA's plan to save Earth from asteroids will have to do the trick) to remind my readers about a possibility I raised at the end of Broken Peach: Singing Spanish goths and witches for Halloween: "Before I leave my readers for today, I note that Broken Peach also sings Christmas songs.  Maybe I'll post one of them for Yule this year.  Stay tuned."  Infidel 753 liked that idea in his comment, writing "I can't imagine a better choice for a Christmas song post."  My response was "O.K., Broken Peach for a Christmas music post!"  Time to keep my promise.

I begin with a clip from Broken Peach's appearance on the program Desexos Cumpridos on the Galacian language network on Spanish TV.  It includes "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," "White Christmas," and Broken Peach's favorite Christmas song, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and is older than any of the group's own videos.*

Triple actuación del grupo Broken Peach (Vigo) en el programa \"Desexos Cumpridos\" de la TVG emitido el sábado 21 de diciembre de 2013.
Translation: Triple action of the Group Broken Peach (Vigo) in the program \"Desexos Cumpridos\" TVG issued Saturday, December 21, 2013.

Going from the oldest video I can find of the group singing Christmas songs to the newest, here is "Jingle Bells" from Broken Peach's YouTube channel.

Merry Christmas!! We hope you enjoy it and... Share! :)
¡Feliz Navidad a todos ustedes, tambien!

*Seriously, the band has four different videos featuring different arrangements and performers on its YouTube Channel.  The band has their own videos of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and "White Christmas" as well.  Also, people who have watched the Halloween videos will notice that there is a fifth singer in this video.  She shows up in the first video uploaded to the band's YouTube channel, which is also a clip from a Spanish TV program featuring "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", and videos up to June 2014, but videos from November of that year and later don't show her.  On another channel, there are videos from June 2014 that show only the four current singers, so she had left by then.  I wonder what happened to her.

2 comments:

  1. Their style has certainly changed dramatically in four years. In the Desexos Cumpridos video their act is pretty conventional, even if the costumes are a bit outré (and even that, maybe not by European standards). Not much to foreshadow the electrifying videos for "Halloween" and "Personal Jesus".

    Personnel turnovers in bands are pretty common, so I'm not surprised if one gal left at some point. I think there was a guy who left the Beatles just before they became famous. He must have felt gnawed-at by that for the rest of his life.

    Since I don't know Spanish (a shameful shortcoming, I suppose), I looked up "Desexos Cumpridos" and got "Completed Desires". My brain wanted to read it as something like "De-sexed Cum-pride".

    By the way, I did a Google search on "Broken Peach" and your October post about them was in ninth place in the results. You may have a few of their fans reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the difference is that their style evolved over the years, which you imply. Another part is that the band was not in control of their first video; TVG and the crew of Desexos Cumpridos were. All of their best videos have the band in charge, including all their single-camera, single-take ones.

      The person you're thinking of is Pete Best, who was the drummer before Ringo. I suspect he may have been a better technical drummer, but nowhere near as entertaining as Ringo. As for his near-brush with fame, he later issued an album called "Best of The Beatles," which was literally true, but actually somewhat misleading.

      One of the issues that may complicate translation is that TVG uses the Galician dialect, which is more closely related to Portuguese than to standard (Castilian) Spanish. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the reasons why the group sings in English instead of Spanish, along with general admiration for American pop music.

      I'm flattered by that. I hope they are!

      Delete