Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Michigan celebrates 4th of July with parades, politicians, and fireworks


I don't just write about drinking and drum corps on the 4th of July.  Every even-numbered year I march in the Clawson 4th of July Parade.  Since this is an odd-numbered year, I didn't march.  That doesn't mean that I don't care about the parade; I do.  So I was happy to see that WXYZ covered it, as they had last year and 2014.  Watch Clawson hosts annual Fourth of July parade.

The city of Clawson hosted its annual Fourth of July parade down Main Street on Tuesday.
Just like the years I marched, there were politicians rolling or walking down 14 Mile and Main Street with their volunteers passing out candy; they just weren't the politicians I support.  That will change next year, when I will march in support of a politician I like, such as Gretchen Whitmer for Governor, Haley Stevens for U.S. Representative, or Debbie Stabenow for U.S. Senate.  Of course, if Cyndi Peltonen is running, I'll march with her for old times sake, as I did in 2014 and 2016.  If I can walk, I'll be in the parade.

Speaking of politicians marching in parades, including ones I don't support, WOOD-TV reported on VP Mike Pence walks in Grandville 4th of July parade.

Vice President Mike Pence and his wife greeted members of the community Tuesday while walking in Grandville’s Fourth of July parade.
It is an honor to meet the Vice President, even if it's Pence.  He, at least, understands the dignity of his office, even while he's spouting BS about how the proposed replacement to the Affordable Care Act will do what he says it will (it won't).

Enough of Pence; back to Clawson.  The parade is just the beginning of the celebration, which lasts all day and into the night, when there are fireworks.  People love them, even as WXYZ reported Security ramped up for Clawson's annual Fourth of July fireworks show.

Security was ramped up in Clawson on Thursday night as the city held its annual fireworks show on the Fourth of July. Police helped keep things secure by prohibiting street parking, enforcing no alcohol in the park and reminding people who see something to say something.
I'm glad the spectators had a safe and secure celebration, even though the level of security says something about the state of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment