Sunday, February 1, 2015

NABLOPOMO for February: MAKE


From the website only this month.*
So what is the NaBloPoMo theme of the month?

MAKE

The BlogHer community is a creative bunch. I've made your recipes, tried your craft tutorials, and even bookmarked a DIY post on renovating your bathroom. I'm going to get to that project one day.

This month we want to celebrate you and your creativity. Hopefully by writing about projects gone right (or even... er... wrong) you'll be inspired to roll up your sleeves and try something new. Support a food blogger by trying out her recipe and leaving a comment about your experience. Buy something handmade on Etsy. Or think about something that you know how to do well and whip up a tutorial that other people can follow.

The point is to get your hands dirty, try something new, and write about the experience. So take a deep breath, plug in the glue gun, and let's make something.
I'm ambivalent about this theme.  On the one hand, this blog is about how to survive or delay collapse, which means it should be about practical things as much as ideas.  That's been difficult for me, as I'm about ideas, so I've been working mostly on awareness and knowledge instead of skills and action.  On the other, the prompts for this month work better for me than I expected, as they explore whether the blogger is a DIY person (not for anything big) or someone who hires others (generally yes), ask if the blogger has seen stuff being made (Maker Faires and 3D Printing, for example), and ask if the blogger cooks (yes).  I certainly do cook and have posted recipes here, so I think I'm OK.  Besides, there's always this out.
NaBloPoMo is what you make of it. At its core, all you need to do is post daily on your blog. The point of NaBloPoMo is not to be restricted by the theme, but instead to either take it or leave it. If you'll do better blogging every day based on what's happening in your world, throw aside the daily prompts.
This means that if I don't feel like posting about building chicken coops, planting home gardens, installing solar power, or influencing local government to allow a homeowner to do such things, I don't have to.  It also means I can get away with posting recipes from Tipsy Bartender.  That's a relief.
Sign up for February's NaBloPoMo and make something.
I already did and at least plan on making some noise.  Speaking of noise, stay tuned for the Sunday entertainment entry, which will most likely be about the Super Bowl.

*I lost access to the email where Nablopomo sends its notices.  I might explain later.

No comments:

Post a Comment