Thursday, August 28, 2014

Back to school today


The fall semester begins for me today.  To mark the occasion, I present this informational article from the University of Connecticut that I originally included in Overnight News Digest: Science Saturday (Shark Week) on Daily Kos: Coping with Back-to-School Anxiety By Carolyn Pennington on August 11, 2014.
As the summer begins to wind down and you start shopping for back-to-school supplies, don’t forget to equip your child with some good advice for making a smooth return to the classroom. Anxious feelings are common and expected during times of transition or change, and this can be especially true for children and teens going back to school or for first-timers starting kindergarten.

UConn Today asked internationally recognized child psychologist Golda Ginsburg for tips on how to handle those anxious feelings. Ginsburg, who recently joined UConn Health from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, has been developing and evaluating interventions for anxious youth for more than 20 years.
I'm an adult, not a child, and a teacher, not a student, but I'm just a touch anxious anyway.  Wish me and my students a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment