Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Examiner.com article on Detroit's record total snowfall

Workers clear snow from a sidewalk along Woodward Avenue through several inches of snow as the area deals with record breaking freezing weather January 6, 2014 in Detroit, Michigan.
Joshua Lott--Getty Images
In Lunar eclipse not visible in Michigan tonight, I gave my reasons for wishing for a lot of snow.
The next question becomes "will there be enough snow to break the record for Detroit?"  The answer is maybe.  The latest prediction from NOAA states "Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible."  Only 1.9 inches is needed to set a new record for snowfall for the season, and that's right in the middle of the range.  Honestly, I'm rooting for that to happen.  First, it means that I won't feel like I should be wearing a T-shirt that reads "I survived this terrible winter and all I got was second place."  Second, it also means that I'll be inspired to write another article for Examiner.com.  The ones that I wrote about snowfall records got a lot of page views and Facebook likes.  That was good for both my pocketbook and my ego.  Finally, it will make going from spring back to winter, if only for a few days, worth it.
I got my wish and I was able to pound out another article for Examiner.com in 2 hours.

2013-2014 snowiest winter in Detroit history
This morning, the National Weather Service office in Detroit made it official.  This has been the snowiest winter in Detroit history.

As of 6:00 A.M., 3.1 inches of snow had fallen overnight, raising the total for the season to 94.8 inches.  Only 1.9 inches had been required to break the previous record of 93.6 inches set in 1880-1881.

This record joins three others for the Motor City set this season, the snowiest January, snowiest month, and longest snow cover, which is now 78 days.
...
After witnessing records like these, Detroiters can proudly say, "We survived the winter of 2013-2014."
Now to sweep off my car and drive to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment