Sunday, October 20, 2013

Happy Wester 2013

Time to be a good environmentalist and recycle.

Solstices and Equinoxes

Adapted from my original 2007 post: Happy Wester Everyone!
Yes, you read that correctly--I wish you all a happy Wester! What is Wester? Well, it's the mirror image of Easter, which is celebrated on the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox. Therefore, Wester is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Autumnal Equinox, which is today (or tomorrow if you're in the Rocky Mountain, Pacific, and Alaskan/Hawaiian Time Zones of North America).* In the northern states of the U.S. and the southern parts of the Canadian Provinces, it is usually one of the last days of pleasant weather before the full chill of Autumn descends. As such, it's a good excuse to enjoy summer activities outdoors one last time.

Although I'm probably the first person to wish any of you Wester (correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd like more documentation), I did not come up with the idea. It originated in Berkeley, California, during the 1980s, and the message was brought to Michigan by my colleague Tim Pearce. Tim invited me to a Wester party in 1991 and explained the holiday to me. The party was a blast, and I've been eternally grateful to him for introducing me to the concept. Therefore, I am sharing this meme with you.

One last time, Happy Wester!
I just realized that it was Wester when I remembered that it was Sunday and last Friday was the first full moon after the Autumnal Equinox. I realized that I'd better hurry.

Also I want to include the following from last year's comments.
Wayne Freeman: So, if Easter has the Easter Bunny, who comes around and brings goodies, does the Wester Squirrel go around and gather goodies?

Me: The Wester Squirrel? I like that! Thanks to you, the holiday has a new mascot
And here he is, the Wester Squirrel.


*Actually, it was yesterday for anyone in the Eastern Hemisphere, as this entry is posting at Midnight GMT. Oh, well, it's still Wester here.

No comments:

Post a Comment