Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fresh: garden prompt


What was yesterday's prompt?
Monday, April 8, 2013
Do you own a garden? What do you grow?
Yes, my wife and I do have a garden.  In fact, we've had gardens at both addresses where we've resided together since 2007.  In both places, we've grown tomatoes every year.  Most years, we've also planted bell peppers and mint.  One year, we got ambitious and included eggplant and watermelon.  That wasn't very successful, so we gave up on them.

As for what we're planting this year, we don't know yet, although I'm sure we'll be eating home-grown tomatoes this summer and fall.  Nothing beats the taste of home-grown tomatoes.  If we grow anything else, I'll be sure to write about it, just like I posted last year how I had started working on the garden by March 17th, weeding it three times by March 25th.  So far this year, I've barely ventured into the back yard except to take out the trash.  Maybe by Mothers Day the weather will be warm enough and I'll be strong enough to work on the garden.

2 comments:

  1. Out here in Philadelphia, our overnight 'lows' are 25 or so degrees above our daytime highs just a few days ago. Just last week, the temps were still struggling to rise out of the lower 40s, and the brutal Philly winter winds were still assaulting our faces immediately upon stepping outside.

    Was 83 degrees today, and tomorrow may top 90, probably setting an all-time high for April 10th.

    I have no a/c in my tiny studio apartment (rear half of a typical early 20th-century, 3-story inner city North Philadelphia corner rowhouse), so the fans are on and all the windows are open again. And it looks they'll have to be every day from here on out again, probably until late October.

    What ever happened to Spring, is what I want to know? Is that still a season? Did I miss a memo or something?

    We seem to have gone right from the lower 40s into the 70s and 80s. Did not pass go, did not collect $200, etc etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be an east coast problem. Here in Detroit, we're having a slow-starting, chilly spring. Summer seems a long way off.

      Delete