Thursday, January 24, 2013

Education Day and eco-diesels at NAIAS

I've been accepting reports on visits to NAIAS as extra credit for years now.  It looks like I'm not the only one who thinks of the auto show as an educational opportunity.  Others do, too.  WXYZ has a report on "Education Day" at the North American International Auto Show.


I'm not trying to encourage my students to be designers or engineers. Instead, my interests are in getting students to examine the cars for innovation and efficiency in using energy.  In particular, I want them to look at the electric, hybrid, and high-mileage cars, whether they burn gasoline or another fuel.

I'm not alone in emphasizing that aspect of the show.  Researchers at the University of Michigan do, too.  Here's a video from the University of Michigan pointing out that diesels are picking up speed at the auto show in Detroit.

Bruce Belzowski of the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute explains the appeal of diesel engines at the 2013 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
My wife has owned a number of German cars over the years and wants to buy another when I inherit her current vehicle.  I wonder if she'll consider a diesel based on this information.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment