Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pizza Man Cain wants a third party for conservatives, never mind three already exist


I thought I'd said goodbye to Herman Cain, but it turns out that he's in the news again. Here's the relevant passage from Salon's GOP civil war: Herman Cain calls for third party.
Appearing on Bryan Fischer’s radio program this afternoon, Cain called for a large faction of Republican Party leaders to desert the party and form a third, more conservative party.

“I never thought that I would say this, and this is the first time publicly that I’ve said it: We need a third party to save this country. Not Ron Paul and the Ron Paulites. No. We need a legitimate third party to challenge the current system that we have, because I don’t believe that the Republican Party … has the ability to rebrand itself,” Cain said.
...
“It is more viable today than it has ever been,” Cain told Fischer today of a third party.
I first heard about this a couple of days ago, so when Hunter at Daily Kos gave me an opportunity to express myself this afternoon, I jumped on it.
Conservatives have *three* third parties already, the Libertarians, the Constitution Party, and the Reform Party (or what's left of it). They don't need another. The dissidents can go pile into one of them and take it over. Cain would probably feel most at home in the Reform Party. After all, it already has a history of being run by an eccentric egomaniac with lots of money and being a haven for ambitious conservatives who don't feel at home in the Republican Party.

If that doesn't work, they can continue to run out the moderates and keep the GOP for themselves. The refugees who won't become Democrats can hijack the revived Whig Party or what's left of Americans Elect.

Either way, they lose power and we win.

G-d, that felt to good to type. I've been waiting to say this since I first heard Cain's foolish remarks.
I mentioned the positives for Cain in joining the Reform Party. I covered the negatives involved in joining the Constitution Party in another comment.
I cover politics here in Michigan and have spoken to Bill Mohr, the head of the U.S. Taxpayers Party, Michigan's state affiliate of the Constitution Party, about their nominees. He told me about how Alan Keyes tried to become their nominee in 2008 and the party rejected him. According to Mohr, they figured out that Keyes was a Trojan Horse for a GOP takeover, or something like that, and rejected him in favor of Chuck Baldwin. I figured something like that would happen to Cain, which is why I recommended he take over the Reform Party. It would be much more to his liking.

As for which Republican politician I would like to see go to the Constitution Party, it would be Sarah Palin. She'd fit right in with their wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible theocratic vision. Also, she's already familiar with one of its state affiliates, the Alaska Independence Party. She and Todd can be in the same party again.
Someone else mentioned the American Independent Party, to which I replied:
I had to check that one. I counted the American Independent Party as part of the Constitution Party, as they were California's state affiliate of that organization until 2008. They split because of Alan Keyes' failed attempt to become the Constitution Party candidate...So, that means that there are three nationwide, but a fourth one with ballot access in California. Ask Roseanne Barr how being on the ballot only in California worked out for her.
As if that wasn't snarky enough, someone mentioned Cain "going Splitter." That deserved a video.



Reposted at Daily Kos.

2 comments:

  1. He's never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but then look at the rest of the drawer. He wasn't the dullest, either.

      Also, he may not have a sharp wit, but he does have a quick one. The English guy on The Daily Show found that out the hard way, much to his amazement. Cain can drop a line of inspiring BS at the drop of a hat. I think the only one of the GOP candidates this year who could equal him in quickness was Gingrich. While Gingrich was smarter, he wasn't as uplifting.

      Delete