Monday, May 21, 2012

Two environmental videos from Accuweather

Here are two videos from Accuweather that I included as part of Overnight News Digest: Science Saturday (Annular Eclipse edition) on Daily Kos that wouldn't fit in any theme other than sustainability news from commercial sources, but which I think are worthy of reposting. The first explains the paradox of warm summers decreasing sea ice resulting in winters with heavy snow. The second is a retrospective of the eruption of Mount St. Helens. Both of them are videos I plan on using in my classes. In fact, I expect to use it today as the opening of my lecture on volcanism. I'm sure it will get the students' attention.

Accuweather: Less Summer Sea Ice Could Mean More Winter Snow
May 17, 2012



According to a recent study, there is correlation between summer Arctic sea ice cover and winter weather in Central Europe. Valerie Smock has the details.

Accuweather: Weather History: Mount St. Helens Eruption
May 15, 2012



On May 18, 1980, Mount St. Helens stunned the U.S. shooting an eruption column 80,000 feet into the atmosphere.
In other news, I mentioned in The Hipcrime Vocab on J. J. Abrams' "Revolution" that I should start blogging about "Hunger Games." I bought the book yesterday afternoon, so expect me to start writing about it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment